Saturday, March 28, 2015

Wisdom from Marilla Cuthbert

Recently, Cameron and I rewatched the first two Anne of Green Gables movies.  As I was watching, I began to notice that Marilla had some pretty cool things to say.  I thought it might be a fun blog post, so here goes!



1.  To despair is to turn your back on God.


Sometimes it is super hard to remember this!  I don't know why... This quote reminds me of a favorite hymn:  When Faith Endures (you can read the lyrics, here)


2.  Save your thoroughness for prayer, God doesn't want a fair-weather friend.


Love this quote!  Marilla never fails to give a good does of sensibility.


3.  Anne:  What would you have done if someone dared you to walk the ridgepole? 
     Marilla:  I would have stayed on firm ground and let them dare away.


Don't let people make you leave your firm ground to walk any impractical ridgepoles, it will give you a metaphorically sprained sense of dignity.



4. Matthew Cuthbert: Mrs. Spencer made a lucky mistake, I guess.
Marilla Cuthbert: It wasn't luck; it was Providence. He knew we needed her.

Sometimes we forget to recognize God's hand in our blessings.





                                        5. You don't make important visits in kitchen clothes.


Truly wise words.


6. It's not right to cry so, God knows best.
The first part of this quote is very difficult.  Sometimes people need to grieve so that they can understand that God really does have plan for everyone.



7.  You can never tell about people from their outsides.
If we could all just learn this as a society, things would be much improved.


8.  We can't change what God determines.
We have to follow God's plan for us.  There's a reason why it's called the Plan of Happiness.  If we follow it, we will be happy!  By the way, this gif has nothing to do with this quote, I just really like it.


Thanks for reading!






Love,







Courtney

5 comments:

  1. Someone should have written a post about this a long time ago. It should be published into a little booklet and given out to all 8 year old girls and boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! :) You were the one who showed me this movie in the first place :D

      Delete
  2. Cameron wins points for watching Anne of Green Gables with you!

    I haven't watch that in WAY TOO LONG and I am officially asking Jake to buy them for me for Christmas or my birthday!

    You are so right and I love Marilla and her quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, thank you for being my only friend who updates her blog and reads my blog!! I love reading your blog and I love reading your comments on my blog!

      Delete
    2. Actually, Cameron watched this before we were even married! It was one of his favorites as a kid. Thanks! Aw, same to you! I love reading about you and your family. I really enjoy reading your flashbacks. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...